Archive for the 'Project: Yellow Bike' Category

Bittersweet

Monday, February 18th, 2013

It’s been a bit of a roller-coaster these past few days. The new Ribble Winter/Audax frame arrived last Thursday. All the happy new bike stuff feelings are tempered by removing parts from YellowBike and preparing it for retirement. Right up until the end, I still really liked YellowBike and looked forward to every ride. It […]

Oh damn

Monday, December 24th, 2012

Yesterday I was prepping the bikes for winter, which seems finally to be getting its act together here on the North Coast. One of the nine bullet points on my list when I bought the Trek Portland was “Room for my studded snow tires in the frame and fork”. It’s also no secret that as […]

Yellow Bike is home!

Friday, July 3rd, 2009

I picked-up Yellow Bike today. [ Does the happy dance. ] The snafus that delayed its repair continued right up through today. I figured we’d be on the road by noon, maybe one. Instead it was 4:30. So we have only three short rides together so far, and there’s been no time for pics. Tomorrow, […]

Spring Service, Part One

Tuesday, April 14th, 2009

I dropped-off Yellow Bike on the way home this afternoon. It’s been two years since I bought, stripped and rebuilt it, and it’s about time it had a professional laying on of the hands. The wheels are a little out of true, the brakes are wearing funny and won’t stay centered, and there were a […]

Sunday ride

Monday, February 18th, 2008

Weather around here is notoriously hard to predict. In February, it’s harder still. Yesterday was supposed to be windy with a 20% chance of rain in the morning, rising to 80% in the afternoon. When I got up in the mid-morning, it was still. The church across the alley has those old, industrial, backdraft preventers […]

New wheels!

Sunday, June 10th, 2007

After much anxiety, my new wheels arrived late Thursday afternoon. All’s well that ends well, I guess, but it sure was frustrating when they hadn’t arrived on my drop-dead date of Wednesday and I couldn’t get any response from the wheelbuilder. Then, I had them delivered to the library so that there was no way […]

First crash

Wednesday, June 6th, 2007

A day off the bike works wonders for how I feel when I get back on. Especially after last week which began with a 68-miler. I rode all seven days last week, something I seldom do. This Sunday we had the first rainy day in weeks and I stayed in. Monday started rainy as well, […]

First Light/The Bikes

Tuesday, May 29th, 2007

My new digicam arrived today. I bought a Kodak C875 based on this review at Digital Photography Review. While I didn’t necessarily base my purchase decision on buying from the local yellow box (after all, the camera was made in China anyway), I decided that if I could find a camera in their line that […]

New wheels ordered

Monday, May 21st, 2007

I ordered new wheels for Yellow Bike today. As you may recall, Yellow Bike came with a set of blue wheels that match its blue decals and trim. Then I lost one. I replaced it with a cheap one, strictly on an interim basis. Matching wheels are a must for me. Shopping around I couldn’t […]

Monday Night Ride

Monday, May 7th, 2007

Have I mentioned lately how much I like riding Yellow Bike? I rode with the Monday Night Small Ring Ride tonight on several roads I’ve ridden before, but on Bike. Heading out, it was hard for me to stay behind the group. I had to coast a lot. It was weird. Everyone else is pedaling […]